Da-Lite offers a wide array of screens each with a choice of projection surfaces. Selecting the right combination to meet your needs is important for optimum results.
The following offer guidelines for selecting a screen that suits your application. Although these recommendations will work in most situations, each must be looked at not as a strict rule, but rather as a guideline for determining your actual needs based on your own situation.
For additional help in selecting screens, contact Da-Lite for the free publication "Selecting Front Projection Screens for Today's Presentation Media Applications". Of course, your Da-Lite Sales Partner is also happy to assist you.
Four Steps to Selecting the Right Screen
- Determine the optimum screen size based on room dimensions, planned audience seating size and arrangement. The rule of thumb is to fit the screen to the audience - not to the projector. :
- Screen height should be approximately equal to 1/6 the distance from the screen to the last row of seats, allowing text to be read and detail to be seen in the projected image. Ideally, the first row of seats should be approximately two screen heights away.
- The bottom of the screen should be a minimum of 4 feet above the audience floor, allowing those seated toward the rear of the audience to see the screen. This may require additional screen "drop" for ceiling hung screens.
- Screen height should be approximately equal to 1/4 the distance from the screen to the last row of seats. Ideally, the first row of seats should be approximately two screen heights away.
- The bottom of the screen should be a minimum of 2 feet above the audience floor. This may require additional screen "drop" for ceiling hung screens.
|Common Applications||Aspect Ratio
|35 MM Filmstrip||1.32:1|
|2x2 Standard 35MM Double-Frame Slides||1.50:1|
|Super XGA Computer||1.25:1|
How to Calculate a Custom Screen Size
Use the following formulas to calculate a custom size. The formulas will assist you in finding the viewing area only.
|NTSC (1.33)||HDTV (1.78)||Letterbox (1.85)|
|Video Format||Video Format||Video Format|
|Diagonal/1.667 = Height||Diagonal x 0.49091 = Height||Diagonal x 0.4762 = Height|
|Height x 1.33 = Width||Diagonal x 0.87247 = Width||Diagonal x 0.88 = Width|
|Width/1.33 = Height||Height x 2.0395 = Diagonal||Height x 2.10 = Diagonal|
|Height x 1.667 = Diagonal||Width x 1.14585 = Diagonal||Width x 1.135 = Diagonal|
|Height x 1.78 = Width||Height x 1.85 = Width|
|Width x 0.561837 = Height||Width x 0.5405 = Height|
|Cinemascope (2.35)||16:10 Wide (1.60)||SXGA (1.25)|
|Video Format||Video Format||Video Format||Diagonal x 0.3916 = Height||Diagonal x 0.530 = Height||Diagonal x 0.625 = Height|
|Diagonal x 0.9209 = Width||Diagonal x 0.848 = Width||Diagonal x 0.78125 = Width|
|Height x 2.554 = Diagonal||Height x 1.887 = Diagonal||Height x 1.60 = Diagonal|
|Width x 1.0868 = Diagonal||Width x 1.1.79 = Diagonal||Width x 1.28 = Diagonal|
|Height x 2.35 = Width||Height x 1.6 = Width||Height x 1.25 = Width|
|Width x 0.4255 = Height||Width x 0.625 = Height||Width x 0.80 = Height|
Screen Borders and Drop
Black masking borders are standard on most Da-Lite front projection screens at no extra charge. Borders enhance the perceived brightness of an image on a screen. The human eye perceives the image to have more contrast and a sharper picture with brighter colors. Borders also allow the projected image to "bleed-off" the screen for professional appearing presentations.
Drop is also available on most Da-Lite wall, ceiling and electric screens. Drop is extra fabric added to the top or bottom of the screen to adjust the screen surface to within normal viewing heights. Drop can be specified in either black or white.